Friday, January 14, 2011

An open letter to Judy Blume

Are you there, Judy? It's me, Molly.


I'm not ashamed to say that I have been a reader for quite some time. You were inspiring during my formative years - you weren't afraid to tackle the hard-hitting issues of the day, and for that, I thank you. I'd like to say that your aptitude of dealing with middle school girls and helping them prepare for their bright futures was en pointe...but Judy, I would be wrong.


I feel like you should have prepared us much better.


Judy, in middle school I was bright eyed and bushy tailed and eager to take on the world of rainbows, cute boys next door and the promise of being a blossoming flower...blah blah blah. I feel like you left a lot out.


Yeah, I got a few things to tell you, Judy...




You said nothing of real world jobs, the trouble that is having your own health insurance, student loans, crazy stalkers and Craigslist Killers, fake british guys you unknowingly date, tequila, living in an area where there are 21 registered sex offenders in your immediate vicinity, and people that you try your darndest to friend-zone for everyone's well being without looking like a complete asshole...




Judy, you BARELY covered the basics. I went into this life like a lamb into the slaughter that had been  blindfolded while wearing noise canceling headphones. While you had me looking one way, the whole world was colluding in left field and then hit me in the face with a truth-filled baseball.


Aww, enlightenment. FEELS GOOD doesn't it, Blume?




Get your shit together, Judy. I expect revisions, new editions and you bet that I'll be looking for my name in the acknowledgments section. I'll also accept a dedication.


Fondly,
Molly


p.s. I really did like Superfudge though. Classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment